Heating system maintenance: advantages, intervals, costs, maintenance contract
Smooth operation of a Viessmann heating system is the be all and end all. This is the only way to ensure that the components interact optimally which increases the efficiency of the system. Depending on the type of heating system, it also means that fewer resources are used. In addition, you can save on heating costs in this way. However, it is not uncommon for the maintenance of heating systems to be neglected. We explain how heating system maintenance works, provide information on the subject of costs and what you should definitely look out for if you want to have maintenance carried out on a Viessmann heating system.
Why you should have your Viessmann heating system serviced
Basically, maintenance of your heating system consists of two components – an inspection and the servicing itself. Both steps are carried out by a qualified professional. First of all, they will determine the current condition of the heating system. The specialist then derives courses of action from the results. The maintenance work ensures the intended condition of the Viessmann heating system.
Individual maintenance and wear parts may need to be replaced. This is called corrective maintenance, which restores the target condition. After the inspection and corrective maintenance work have been carried out, you will also receive a maintenance report for your Viessmann heating system. The work carried out is listed in it.
You can find information about a fault in your Viessmann heating system in the guide What to do in the event of a fault?
What is checked when your heating system is serviced?
When your heating system is being serviced, other tests are carried out in addition to the boiler itself. The following maintenance steps are listed using the example of a gas condensing wall-mounted boiler:
- Checking all connections on the heating water and domestic hot water sides for leaks
- Measuring static and supply pressure
- Checking the burner seal and burner gauze assembly
- Checking and adjusting the ignition and ionisation electrode
- Cleaning the heat exchanger
- Checking the condensate drain and cleaning the trap
- Checking the neutralising system (if present)
- Checking the expansion vessel and system pressure
- Checking the safety valve
- Checking the electrical connections for firm seating
- Checking the combustion quality
- Checking the flue system for unrestricted flow and tightness
- Domestic hot water supply including temperature setting, tightness and general proper functioning
- Function and adequate settings of the heating system pumps such as heating circuit, cylinder charging and domestic hot water circulation pumps
The individual factors can vary depending on the type and model of heating system. For example, completely different factors play a role with a heat pump or a fuel cell than with a gas condensing boiler or a classic oil boiler.
Reasons for heating maintenance
- Avoid high heating costs due to contamination
- Ensure the safety of the residents
- Extend the service life of the system
- Maintain energy quality
- Retain warranty (for new systems)
- Prevent environmentally harmful exhaust gases from uncleaned systems
- Prevent sudden heating failure
- Ensure that insurance covers the costs of consequential damage
You should have your heating system serviced regularly
A heating system runs at full load for three to five months of the year. Therefore, heating system maintenance should be carried out regularly. However, there is no statutory time requirement. In any case, a good time for servicing a Viessmann heating system is summer. If it is already permanently warm very early, late spring is also a good time. In any case, you should have the heating system serviced before the start of the next heating season.
What costs can you expect for heating system maintenance?
Heating system maintenance incurs costs. But there are no unit prices and flat rates. This is because the cost depends on a variety of factors such as
- heating type
- scope of the work
- local conditions
- adequate settings
- spare parts or replacement of wearing parts, if necessary
In particular, the follow up services of heating system maintenance cannot be covered by a flat fee. In some cases, wearing parts may also have to be replaced by a contractor in the course of maintenance. All these additional services count towards heating system maintenance and thus determine its price. Due to this complexity, it is not possible to specify flat fees for heating system maintenance here; costs can only be determined individually.
Maintenance contract: The advantages speak for themselves
A maintenance contract for the heating system ensures regular care of the system and usually offers more attractive conditions. Long-term contracting enables better calculability for both you and your service partner.
You do not have to compare offers or renegotiate services every year. Another advantage for you when you take out a maintenance contract is that you will never forget the service date again.
Finally, you can specify custom services in such a contract. This way you get a package that is tailored to your needs. If you want to find a suitable service partner, we will be happy to help you. Simply use our form to request a quote for heating maintenance.
Content of a maintenance contract: What you should look out for
With a contract for regular maintenance of a Viessmann heating system, you should pay attention to the following items:
- services to be carried out including description
- time frame and maintenance interval
- contract term and notice period
- clearly worded assumption of liability
- On-call service in the event of a malfunction
- Optionally, you can also agree on a response time in the event of a malfunction.